Be the first to attend this event.
From The Indian Slow Cooker by Anupy Singla
Black Chickpea Curry (kaala chana)
3 cups dried black chickpeas, cleaned and washed
1 medium yellow or red onion, peeled and quartered
1 medium tomato, quartered
1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled
4-6 green Thai, serrano, or cayenne chiles, stems removed
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chile powder
2 tablespoons salt
7 cups water
2 tablespoons cilantro
2tablespoons lemon juice
1. Place the black chickpeas in a 5-quart slow cooker.
2. In a food processor, puree the onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, and green chiles into a paste. Add this mixture to the slow cooker.
3. Add the cumin, turmeric, red chile powder, salt, and water to the slow cooker.
4. Cook on high for 9 hours.
5. Using the back of aspoon, an immersion blender, or a regular blender, mash about a third of the beans. (We usually omit this step and leave them whole.)
6. Add the cilantro and lemon juice. Serve with steaming bowls of basmati or brown rice.
To make this dish in a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker, halve all the ingredients and proceed with the recipe. It will take less time to cook (about 6 hours).